Considering the COVID-19 pandemic there is a huge and increasing need of protective devices, protective masks in particular.
Protective masks such as FFP1 / FFP2 / FFP3 masks are classified as personal protective equipment (PPE) of category III according to the Regulation (EU)2016/425.
- a conformity assessment including an evaluation by a notified body authorized at European level;
- the granting of an EC certificate by the notified body;
- the CE mark symbol, reported on the mask and/or its labelling, followed by the numerical code of the notified body.
Due to COVID-19 emergency the Italian authority issued an emergency derogation procedure to allow the marketing of PPEs without CE mark, pending a preliminary fast evaluation by the national body “INAIL”.
The list of masks authorized according to this procedure is available at
Simple surgical masks are classified as class I medical device according to Directive 93/42/EEC.
- no conformity assessment with the involvement of a notified body;
- a self-certified regulatory compliance by the manufacturer with the Declaration of Conformity CE mark symbol, reported on the mask and/or its labelling, not followed by any numerical codes.
FFP1 / FFP2 / FFP3 masks and surgical masks not compliant with the above do not meet the European requirements.
Regulatory Pharma Net offers full regulatory support and it is available for any clarification and assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us!